Have you ever been to Wings Over Houston? Do you and your family enjoy family outtings? Have anything planned October 26-27? The 29th Annual Wings Over Houston Airshow is set for October 26th and 27th, 2013, at Houston's Ellington Airport.
Wings Over Houston has so many things that the entire family can enjoy. Just check out their schedule:
Approximate Show Schedule: (subject to change)
-radio control aircraft demo
-opening flag jump-national anthem
-Paul Fiala Barnstorming
-Red Tail P-51C
-Tora! Tora! Tora!/WWI Airpower
(Doolittle Raiders, America Trains for War, Naval Aviation, Texas Flying Legends, European Theater)
-Korean War 60th Anniversary Special Tribute
-Dusty from Disney's PLANES
-Shochwave Jet Truck
-Michael Goulian Aerosports
-Matt Younkin's Twin Beech 18
There is a carnival area with games, rides and crafts. Plan your day accordingly because there are so many planes to see, autograph opportunities, and even touring the aircraft. If you have a teen like I do they may be interested in the United Freestyle Stunt Team. Get ready to see some huge back-flips, tail-whips, 360's, mega spins and other jaw dropping, heart stopping stunts from this team. I am sure this is going to be one of the hot spots and is circled on our list. You can also experience special aircraft displays like the Tuskegee Airmen P-51C and the RISE ABOVE Traveling Exhibit.
Making a pit stop here will get you the chance and honor of meeting the RISE ABOVE exhibit are three Tuskegee Airmen:
-Charles McGee - Tuskegee Class 43-F, June 1943. McGee flew throughout WWII, Korea, and Vietnam and retired from the miltiary in January, 1973 with a record-setting 409 fighter combat missions.
-George E. Hardy - Tuskegee Class 44-H, September 1944. Hardy flew 21 combat missions over Germany during WWII, and 49 combat missions piloting B-29 bombers over Korea. He retired from the military in 1971.
-Alexander Jefferson - Tuskegee Class 44-A, January 1944. Jefferson flew sucessful missions over Germany, until on his 19th mission, his P-51C was shot down and he was captured by the Germans and became a Prisoner of War (POW).
A few tips from me:
1) Wear comfortable shoes because you will be covering a lot of ground and will be on your feet. I have worn flip flops but the bottoms of my feet ended up hurting me for a couple of days afternoon. Lesson learned and now I wear tennis shoes because they have support. Also light weight clothes, Houston has been really hot lately even with the weather dropping in the afternoons.
2) I suggest bringing ear plugs. They have them on the grounds for sale but if you have some really good ones already at home bring them especially for the kiddos. The noises and sounds may be too loud for some of them.
3) Wear lots of sunscreen, and bring ball caps or hats. This is an outdoor activity and the sun will be blazing. Don't leave the sunglasses in the car you will need them when you want to look up the sky and see the beautiful planes in the airshow and the sun is in your face.
4) Bring cash. The food and drink vendors are cash only. We always forget to bring cash on hand.
5) Charge your camera batteries. You will want to take pictures of everything you see.
6) If you are bringing little ones, I suggest bringing a small light umbrella stroller for them to rest their feet when they get tired. Also, you can throw you bags on the stroller and rest your hands.
7) No large bags are allowed. Do like I do and pack light but pack accordingly.
8) And most importantly for you, bring your lawn chairs if you are buying general admission tickets. If you don't and you are tired, you might end up sitting on the floor like I have done. You can also bring a blanket instead of the chairs and that won't be so heavy to carry around. I throw it on the stroller.
So are you excited about going to the Wings Over Houston show? Would you like to win some tickets?
Giveaway - Flying High at the Wings Over Houston Airshow #flyinghigh #Houston #airshow
Grand Prize - Approx. value 650.00
Airplane ride ($300-400 value), two nights stay at the South Shore Resort and a family pack of tickets which are good for 2 adults and FOUR kids.
Ride based on day of attendance and availability.
Second Place Prize - Family pack of tickets -- 2 Adults and 4 children - value $45.00.
Third Place: Two tickets - General Admission (value $40.00)
Enter now! Good Luck!a Rafflecopter giveaway