Sunday, November 28, 2010
With Mega Bloks® Dragons Universe, Megabrands has taken classic play of man vs beast and brought it into a futuristic world designed to appeal to today's kids. With Mega Bloks® Dragons Universe, boys can build a world filled with cool new technology and weapons, and create awesome battles with huge Dragons, heroic soldiers, amazing vehicles and even surprise role-play elements. And with an open-ended story line, boys can ultimately decide who will reign victorious!
As soon as the boys knew what was in the box, they were trying to rip the box open. My son and my nephews loved to assemble the dragons, and soldiers. They each got to pick one to build. While the boys built their dragons and soldiers, we played the Mega Bloks® Dragons Universe CDs that we received in our Mommyparty kit. The parents received their contest cards to see if they were instant winners. We did not have any instant winners but the coupons were perfect. The parents went through the 2010 Mega Bloks® 2010 Catalog of Toys as the boys started asking for Christmas toys to be out on their wish lists. The boys had a great time battling.
Check out some of the boys:
To learn more about Mega Bloks® Dragons Universe toys, please visit www.Dragons.MegaBloks.com.
Disclosure- MommyParties and Mega Bloks® Dragons Universe provided the kit and information for this party. No compensation was received.
Episencial is the first and only professional-quality, all natural skincare system created specifically for the unique developing skin type of babies and kids.
Free from the bad stuff like parabens, phthalates and fragrances, Episencial products are loaded with all-natural goodness and healthy organics. Plus, these gentle, newborn safe formulas feature an exclusive skin immune complex™ to boost the skin’s immune functions and help the body ward off illnesses.
Packaged in recycled and sustainable materials, and manufactured using solar power, Episencial products are good for your babies, kids and the planet!
I was picked as host for a MommyParties™ sponsored by Episencial. I received Episencial products, Episencial goodie bags, and Episencial informational brochures and coupons to share with my party guest and kiddos.
The party started with some wonderful food and games. We shared stories of our bath time rituals. We enjoyed each others stories.
We talked about all the products:
Episencial Sunblock Kit
SPF, lip care and after sun care in one convenient package
includes Sunny Sunscreen SPF 35, Protective Face Balm SPF 6, Soothing Cream
The Very Hungry Caterpillar art project!
Playful Foaming Wash
ultra pure hair & body cleanser
safe and gentle
soothing oat, thyme, ginkgo & calendula
won’t sting or irritate eyes!
Sweet Dreams Bubble Bath
long-lasting bubbly gel concentrate
smells terrific with real fruit juice extracts
won’t irritate eyes or sensitive places!
for eczema, itches, and bothered skin
restores lipids and enhances skin immunity
with oat extract and jojoba oil
balances skin flora with probiotics
Better Body Butter
silky soft hydrating lotion
calming oat extract and aloe boost skin immunity
avocado oil helps prevent cradle cap and scaly skin
Protective Face Balm, SPF 6
all-over relief for chapped skin & lips
provides serious, long-lasting moisture
with shea and coco butters
protects dry skin from every-day elements
relieves & protects damaged skin
fortified with zinc, tea-tree and calendula
soothes and cools diaper rash and irritated skin
Sunny Sunscreen SPF 35
water resistant protection
chemical free for face and body (minerals!)
nourishes and hydrates with green tea
milky texture glides on with minimal white residue
To learn more about Episencial, please visit www.episencial.com.
Disclosure-MommyParties™ and Episencial provided supplies and information for the party. No compensation was received.
Support the campaign by submitting codes from specially marked boxes of Hamburger Helper at www.showyourhelpinghand.com or by logging on to make a donation. Hamburger Helper has already donated more than half a million dollars and will contribute up to an additional $100,000 to Feeding America through this program. Don´t think one code will make a difference? The 17 cents Hamburger Helper donates per code is enough for Feeding America to deliver one meal to a local food bank. Also you have a chance to win an autographed copy of Tim McGraw´s "Southern Voice" CD by visiting www.showyourhelpinghand.com.
I have a prize pack to give away to one of my readers. Here is how to enter:
1) Comment on how you will encourage others to submit codes and join the Hamburger Helper/Feeding America fight against hunger (1 entry)
2) Tweet, make sure to link in your comment. (1 entry/per tweet) unlimited
Win a Hamburger Helper/Feeding America prize pack @independentmami #myblogspark ends 12/10 http://tinyurl.com/253z54u
3) Share on facebook.
This giveaway ends 12/10/10 at 8 am. 1 winner will be picked at random.org. Please leave your email in your comment. Good Luck.
Disclosure-This prize pack and information was all given to Indepedentmami from Hamburger Helper through MyBlogSpark. No compensation was received.
One lucky Dole fan, plus one guest, will win a four day and three night trip to Los Angeles from December 30, 2010 to January 2, 2011 to attend the 2011 Rose Parade with premium VIP seats in the grandstands during the parade.
It's easy to enter, simply “Like” DOLE on Facebook and fill out the sweepstakes entry form at www.Facebook.com/DOLE. The sweepstakes will also randomly award 100 DOLE Rose Parade Limited Edition Commemorative Pins each week between Nov. 4, 2010 to Dec. 23, 2010.
Dr. Mary Zurn, Vice President of Education for Primrose, is offering parents the four easy steps outlined below to start their children on a path to meaningful volunteerism.
Here are 4 Steps to getting your family interested in volunteering:
Step 1: Clarify your personal goals and motives for wanting to include your child in volunteer activities. Volunteering is a wonderful way to a share your values with your child. Pick a cause that is meaningful to you and your family rather than one that is simply convenient.
Step 2: Explain the importance of volunteerism and the contribution volunteers can make. A child's favorite question is "why?" Keep your answers simple and concrete. For example, if you are going to volunteer at the food bank, tell your child that "The food bank has lots of food for people who need it, and it will be our job to sort the food so that people are able to find what they need."
Step 3: Choose volunteer activities to do with your children that are age-appropriate. Children as young as three can begin volunteering. At this age they begin to enjoy participation in group activities and are better able to follow directions. Remember that a preschooler's concept of the world is not very large and is usually limited primarily to their home, neighborhood and school; therefore, it is important to keep the activity within the realm of what they can imagine. A few examples:
Participate in "clean the park" activities. Be sure to have your child wear gloves.
Take recyclables to recycling collection centers.
Act as a companion to the elderly in retirement or assisted living homes. Simply listening to their stories and relieving their loneliness provides multiple benefits for the senior citizen and your child.
Participate in local races and walks that raise money for a charitable cause that you think is important; most races have a shorter race for children.
Sort food at a food bank. Be sure to confirm that children are welcome to volunteer and that it will be a safe environment.
Step 4: Find a child-friendly not-for-profit. Ask the following questions to help you select the volunteer opportunity that is right for your family:
Does the organization have experience with and a history of successfully working with children and families? Will the organization provide me with a reference from another family who has volunteered with them?
Will the organization staff welcome my child's participation?
Is there a specific job that my child can do successfully? Who will show my children what to do?
Are there special clothes or supplies needed for my child to volunteer with this organization?
Does the organization conduct appropriate background screenings on its staff? Does the organization have insurance if there is an accident while your family is volunteering?
Can the organization provide a concrete example that will help your child understand how his or her efforts benefit others?
To find these and other great tips for parents, check out Dr. Zurn's blog at DrZandme.com. For more information on Primrose Schools, visit www.primroseschools.com. You can also check them out on Facebook and Twitter!
"Disclosure: I was entered for a chance to win a gift card in exchange for this post. No monetary exchange took place."
Wednesday, November 24, 2010
1) Be prepared. Don't let the season catch you off guard start planning ahead of time. At a Fall festival this year right before Halloween, we picked who's house we were having Thanksgiving at. I have to work a schedule because my husband and I visit both families and have Thanksgiving with both. This year we have decided we will be visiting my mom for Thanksgiving lunch. Then later on we will be having Thanksgiving dinner with my in laws. After Thanksgiving dinner or lunch, decide the Christmas schedule. We each take turns hosting.
2) Divide the Menu. You don't have to worry about hosting your entire family and having to cook everything, and then clean everything as well. Do a potluck menu. Take your menu and ask every family to bring something of the menu. This will help you, the host, have more time to host. This works great for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and even New Years.
3) Pass out Responsibilities. Preparing your home can be easy. Have the husband and the kiddos each take a section in the house and lets get the house ready. At my house my son handles the trash, putting things in the right place, and any minor things I give him. My husband helps out with the landscaping, dishes, laundry, and other things that will make my job easier. Remember the more hands there are the faster it will get down, we have more things to do this holiday season.
4) Gift Exchange. If you have a big family and many gift to purchase, why not do a gift exchange. After Thanksgving dinner, put everyone's names into a bowl. Each person who put a name in will take a name out. They will purchase only one gift for that person. You can set a dollar value if you want. We only pick out 3 names since it is only 3 of us, my husband, myself, and my son. This won't break the budget since we have 2 sets of families to purchase for, the his and the hers. We do a gift exchange for my in laws family. They are a very big family with many kiddos. This works out get for our budgets.
5) Make a gift list. Write down all the names of the people you and your family need to purchase gifts for. And stick to your list.
6) Set a gift budget. You are the only who knows your money. The person receiving the gift doesn't know how you will pay, lay away, or save. Stick to your budget, don't go over.
7) Shop smart. I love to see and hear about SALE or CLEARANCE. It is what I do best. I get my gift list, and I write down what I want to buy the person next to their name. I think about things they may need or want, that maybe they can't afford or maybe are looking for. I sometimes as parents what they want for their kids. Some parents don't want toys for their kids. When my son was smaller, I would normally ask everyone to help me by getting him clothes. I was a single parent with a very small budget. My mom is still a single parent to my youngest brother, so normally I get him clothes. He needs it, and he loves that I know his style. And because I shop smart I can normally get him an entire outfit. He doesn't mind my smart shopping because he gets more than expected. If you are buying gift for your parents, think of something they can both use instead of shopping for individual gifts for each. Last year, we gave my in laws a digital photo frame, and loaded it with family pictures of the entire family. They loved their gift. Shop the Black Friday Sales. Last Year, I got home from Black friday with my entire list checked off. I found great buys, and sales that I just could not refuse. This way I saved, and I was still able to get everyone great gifts. Many stores will have sales every Saturday in December. They offer gift cards to the first shoppers. They want you to come shop in their stores, and even offer up to 60% of items on your Christmas list.
8) Check your supplies. This one is very important. Do not go to the store wondering if you have gift wrapping paper, tape, or bows. Pull out your supplies and see how much and what you actually need. Who needs 50 gift wrapping paper rolls sitting around all year long in your storage?
9) Storage. It is important that you store all your decorations together. If not you will be running around your house pulling items from everywhere. I use big plastic storage bins to store all my Christmas decorations. I have a knook in my garage and all of those bins who in there. I keep my Halloween, Fall, and Thanksgiving decorations in separate bins in my attic. This makes it easy for me to ask my honey to bring out whatever I need. You know with men it has to be easy if not they will not do it. Also, store things according to their use. I have a bin for the tree, another for outside. This way you won't be pulling for bins all day long. I have a bin just for gift wrapping paper as well. I keep scissors, tape, and bows in it too.
10) Holiday Fun. If you are a host, plan activities for your guest to do while they are there. Usually after geeting each other, and after the food, there isn't more to do. Have fun, play football. This means you ladies too. We can throw a ball, and if we can't who cares we are having fun. Have board games for the kiddos. I set up a designated area with activities to keep the kids busy after Thanksgiving dinner. After Christmas dinner and before opening presents the kids can get very anxious, so give them something to take their minds off those pretty presents calling their names. My in laws love to play lotteria, which is like a Spanish version of bingo. Whatever you do, have fun. The holidays are about families getting together. You may not see these family members but once a year at the most, enjoy their time and company.
I hope you have enjoyed my tips. I have used them and they have help with the chaos. Holidays should not be stressful but stress-free. I hope that one of these tips helps you make your holidays easier. Have a great Thanksgiving, from Independentmami and the Garza Family.
“I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms and Tiny Prints blogging program, making me eligible to get a $75 Tiny Prints gift certificate! For more information on how you can participate, click here."
About Tiny Prints-
Tiny Prints provides stylish, modern and unique stationery from photo cards to personalized greeting cards to thank you cards and business cards. Offering exclusive designs from the nation’s top designers, easy card personalization, a powerful preview engine and top-notch customer service and paper quality, their designs have been lauded by numerous television networks, publications and celebrities. With Tiny Prints by your side the Holidays will be a cinch! They offer adorable Thanksgiving Cards, Christmas Cards, Hanukkah Cards, and even New Years Cards. All fully customizable and personalizable.
Check out Tiny Prints Christmas cards.
Thursday, November 18, 2010
1) Camisole-I love to wear long camisoles under my clothes. I like the ones that have tummy control or a bra already. It is great when you are trying to just be relaxed. The girls can breath in a camisole, sometimes bras are not so friendly to the girls. The girls need a break. Here in my picture, I am wearing a camisole with a bra under my sleeveless shirt for New Years Eve.
2) half jackets-If you have a sleeve shirt you just love to wear but you need to dress it up, add a half jacket. I love my half jacket. I can add it to dresses or shirts. It completes my outfits. They come in different colors and materials. Here in the picture, My bestfriends and I are wearing half jackets on top of sleeveless shirts. It dressed up our night out look.
3) vest-I love to add vest to my look. It changes your look. You can take a plain shirt and add a vest, new outfit. Here in the picture, It is Rodeo time in Houston. I got my vest on top of my long sleeve shirt that I wore to work.
4) Muscle shirts-I wear muscle shirts alot during the spring and summer. I layer them to add color to my outfits. Combine different colors for different looks.
5) Long Sleeve Shirts-In the fall when the weather is dropping I like to wear long sleeves shirts under my shirts. It keeps me warm, no need for a jacket. Especially on a marathon or a 5K walk, long sleeve shirts come in handy. Here in this picture that was taken this past Sunday. I did a 5K. The temperature in Houston has been in the 70s during the day but on this Sunday the sun never came out. I was prepared.
6) dress-Wear a dress as a shirt and add some jeans. This look is a great look for those short mini dresses that may not fit like they use to. Like in my case, this is a dress that I wear as a shirt.
7) Spagetti shirts-I add spagetti shirts in the summer to oufits. It is great when you go to a park or the beach. Add the Spagetti shirt and now you dont have to worry about the girls showing too much.
8) Jackets-Add a jacket to your look even when it is warm outside. I love to wear jackets. I have them in all colors. I have denim, fleece, courdoroy, and dress jackets. I love to wear them to work.
9) sweaters-I have long sweaters, and short sweaters. I wear all year long. They make for great add ons to any outfit.
10) Under shirts-I love to get under shirts for my son that are different colors and throw them on under his plaid or striped shirts. This look never gets old. It also works with us ladies. Have a nive button down shirt you like but have gained alittle in the middle. I throw an undershirt on, and leave my shirt on open. I love to use this look. You can wear jeans, or skirts with this look.
My weigh varies throughout the year, but it varies during the month. I like to say right now I am wearing a bloated size 8. So these tips help me with my bloated size size 8. The layering will allow you to get back into your size. You don't need to buy new clothes. Want to get your moneys worth, then make more than one outfit and look from the same pieces. Layered them on. Play with your clothes in front of your mirror. I hope you enjoyed my layering pics. But you get the point.
***Disclosure-I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms and Cuddl Duds blogging program, making me eligible to get a $40 gift card. For more information on how you can participate, click here.
Wednesday, November 17, 2010
(shhh...these are educational, too! :) )
Tips and Ideas to Keep Kids Busy this Winter!
As the days get shorter and weather turns colder, parents are often faced with more out-of-school time and the age-old question, "What can we do?" from children. Now, parents can look to KinderCare Learning Centers, a leading provider of early childhood education, for engaging and age-appropriate activities for their kids to enjoy over the winter months, including KinderCare Winter Science Camp, reading resources and other ideas that are great boredom-busters! KinderCare offers the following ideas for "weathering the winter season" with your children.
KinderCare Winter Science Camp:
The secret's about to get out: science is a blast! At the end of December, 1600 KinderCare Learning Centers across the U.S. transform into Winter Science Camps that give preschoolers through school-agers a chance to unlock the mysteries of the natural world. Split into eight 1-day segments to better meet the needs of busy families staying in town for the holidays, Winter Science Camp uses age-appropriate activities and a lively, hands-on approach to get kids excited about what they're learning. From fish to flowers, from robots to recycling-each center's camp covers chemistry, earth science, and physics. Among many activities, younger campers will get to be "science detectives," solving a series of science mysteries by using touch, smell and hearing. Meanwhile, school-aged kids will be busy experimenting with colored dyes, creating everything from paper to volcanic eruptions, building balloon rockets, and more. Kids can attend all eight days of camp, or drop in for a day or more. For more information about how KinderCare Winter Science Camp makes science as fun as it is smart, visit http://www.KinderCare.com/wintersciencecamp.
There is nothing better than snuggling up with your child and a good book. Reading to a child on a regular basis is by far the best way to encourage a budding reader. From the earliest ages, parents are encouraged to begin a reading routine with their children. Building on its robust literacy curriculum and teaching expertise, KinderCare is now providing parents with a comprehensive reading guide (available at http://www2.kindercare.com/uploadedFiles/Documents/a_guide_to_reading_to_your_child.pdf) that incorporates tips on reading to infants, toddlers and preschoolers as well as recommended age-appropriate book titles. Some tips include:
o You can help cultivate baby's interest in books by choosing ones that capture his or her attention such as board books, pop-up books, etc. Your child will want to see these again and again.
o While reading together, ask questions about the pictures. Children are delighted in finding objects on the page. If they're saying 'da' and pointing at the dog, say, 'Yes, that's the dog,' If the child says 'ball,' follow up with, 'That's a blue ball.' You'll be giving them additional language for their verbal bank.
o Ask your child open-ended questions about the story you are reading, such as "Why do you think that happened?"
The colder weather outdoors offers a good excuse for good old-fashioned indoor play time. Play is the natural work of children and essential to learning. Through play, children develop social skills, the ability to solve problems and the courage to express their ideas. The following are some quick tips for educational and fun family playtime:
o For infants, playing peek-a-boo will help baby recognize your voice.
o To help infants and toddlers develop fine motor skills, provide a variety of soft, easy-to-grasp toys, such as soft blocks or plush toys.
o Blow bubbles with your child and watch them have a blast as they chase and catch the bubbles - both reinforce motor skills and hand-eye coordination.
· With more than 1,600 centers located in 39 states and the District of Columbia, KinderCare Learning Centers, an accredited early childhood provider, offer a range of educational programs and after-school care for infants as young as six weeks old to school-aged children through age 12. For more information, visit www.KinderCare.com.
***Disclosure-Compensated Post for pass along information.
Are you ready for the holidays? With all the chaos of shopping at the stores and at the mall, you need some music that will help relax you, and put you back into the mood of the season. I love the holidays. I love the music that comes with it. Check out the songs on this cd.
1. Joy to the World
2. Angels We Have Heard On High
3. Circle Of Joy
6. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
7. The Compleat Nutcracker Sweet
8. December Morning
9. The Dove's Return
10. Salve Regina
I loved the music. I didn't need a voice or vocals, guess why? I was singing. This cd is great for putting on when you are going to decorate your house with the lights, and decorations. It puts you in the spirit. The weather here in Houston sometimes may not feels like Christmas but it's just around the corner. My family pulls out all the decorations and we decorate our trees the day after Thanksgiving. I have been getting ready pulling out decorations, and checking what else we need. This cd has kept me in the spirit.
***Disclosure-I received this cd to review. No compensation was received. This cd has been Independentmami's ear tested and Independentmami's ear approved.
Go to http://apps.facebook.com/cookie-exchange/
The Cookie Exchange App will be live from now until Tuesday, January 4th so you have plenty of time to stock up on great recipes and add your family's favorites.
Disclosure: I was entered for a chance to win an ACH prize package in exchange for this post. No monetary exchange took place.
Tuesday, November 16, 2010
Friday, November 12, 2010
For the girls-
Disney Princess characters as cute baby dolls and toddler dolls. Choose from Aurora, Cinderella, Snow White, Belle, Ariel, and the newest Disney Princess character, Tiana.
-Each 12-inch soft bodied Disney Princess baby doll is dressed in an adorable onesie in her signature color and tiara. Ages 2+, Suggested retail price: $9.99
-Each 15-inch Disney Princess toddler doll is dressed in her signature ball gown and features beautiful rooted hair, poseable legs, and a tiara. Ages 3+, Suggested retail price: $19.99
These are great for all the little baby girls in your life. The parts are bigger so you don't have to worry about them harming themselves. They can still have their baby dolls, like the big girls have. And who doesn't love the Disney princess?
For the boys-Real Construction Deluxe Tool Set includes a whole tool set-a hammer, screwdriver, hole borer, small detail saw, nails & screws, multiple pieces of Kid Wood material, and an instructional project book featuring 2 projects-over 120 pieces. Ages 5+, Suggested retail price: $24.99
Additional sets in line include:
The Starter Tool Set that includes a small hammer, saw, nails, kid-wood material, and an instructional project book featuring 6 different projects to choose from, Suggested retail price: $9.99
The Tool Belt Set includes a belt to carry all your tools, Suggested retail price: $14.99
The Fasteners Pack comprised of screws, nails, and hinges, Suggested retail price: $9.99
The Kid Wood refill packs, Suggested retail price: $5.99
So I must admit when dad and I first look at this Kid Wood set we were very surprised. It is foam. It is a wonderful way for boys to get to share in the experience of wanting to play and act like daddy. The boys will love all these tool sets. They can get creative and build with the instructional guides.
***Disclosure-I received both toys to review. No compensation was received. These toys have been Independentmami kid tested and Independentmami kid approved.
-Clinically proven to be gentle and mild
-NO MORE TEARS formula is as gentle as pure water
-Formulated with honey and apple, ingredients known for nourish benefits
-Sweet, fresh smell
-Suggested retail price: $3.49
Johnson's Honey Apple Lotion
-Clinically proven mildness formula
-Fast-absorbing leaves skin feeling soft and smooth, not greasy
-Formulated with honey and apple, ingredients known for nourishing benefits
-Sweet, fresh smell
-Suggested Retail Price: $3.49
Johnson's Baby Bubble Bath & Wash Melon Splash
-Johnson is the #1 choice of hospitals
-NO MORE TEARS formula is as gentle to the eyes as pure water
-Soap-free, dye-free, hypoallergenic and allergy tested
-Dermatologist and pediatrician tested
-Gentle enough to use every day for both girls and boys
-Refreshing melon scent
-Suggested retail price: $3.99 for 15oz
So everyone knows my baby is 11 yrs old going on 12 now. And the Johnson's products I used are now classics next to these new products. I love the new scents. When having your first baby or another baby, you want products that will not harm your baby. The Johnson's body washes and lotions are great for babies at any stage because they are so well tested. I have never had a problem with their products. So bring on the bubbles... it's Johnson's bath time.
***Disclosure-I received products to sample. I am a Johnson's product user. I love Johnson's products. No compensation was received. These products were all Independentmami tested and Independentmami approved.
-Clinically Proven Mildness contains cornstarch that absorbs moisture to keep baby's skin dry and comfortable -Leaves skin feeling smooth and soft
-Light, floral scent
-Suggested retail price: $4.39 for 15oz
This product just hit the stores this July. Available at food, drug, and mass-market chain stores.
NEW Johnson's Hand & Face Wipes
-Helps wipe away 95% of dirt and germs
-Contains the NO MORE TEARS formula
-Alcohol-free and dye-free
-Hypoallergenic and dermatologist tested
-Suggested retail price: $2.49 (one pk contains 25 disposable wipes)
NEW Johnson's Baby Oil Body Wash
-Cleans and helps hydrate skin leaving it feeling baby soft
-Formulated with Johnson's baby oil to leave skin feeling moisturized all day long
-Non-greasy, rich, creamy texture
-Dermatologist and allergy-tested
-Suggested retail price-$3.99 for 13.5 oz
***Disclosure-I received products to sample. I am a Johnson's user. I love their products. No compensation was received.
Walk MS is the rallying point of the MS movement, a community coming together to raise funds and celebrate hope for the future.
Date: Sunday, November 14, 2010
Location: Downtown Aquarium
Address: 410 Bagby St. Houston, TX 77002
Walk Opens: 8:00 a.m.
Walk Begins: 9:00 a.m.
Live Music: Allen Oldies Band
Route: 1 mile accessible route
5K route (NOT accessible)
I am walking this Sunday for a great cause!! click here to donate.
Join The Movement!
Walk MS is the rallying point of the MS movement, a community coming together to raise funds and celebrate hope for the future. Be there. Because every movement you make and every dollar you raise supports the mission to create a world free of MS.
Why I Walk
Multiple sclerosis interrupts the flow of information from the brain to the body and stops people from moving. Every hour in the United States, someone is newly diagnosed with MS, an unpredictable, often disabling disease of the central nervous system. Symptoms range from numbness and tingling to blindness and paralysis. The progress, severity and specific symptoms of MS in any one person cannot yet be predicted, but advances in research and treatment, made possible from the funds raised in events like the Walk MS, are moving us closer to a world free of MS.
Why You Should Sponsor Me
I’m walking to create a world free of multiple sclerosis, and you can join me in the movement by sponsoring these efforts. The money that we raise together will not only support research for a cure tomorrow, but also provide programs which address the daily challenges of people living with MS today. Across the National MS Society, Lone Star this year, the Walk MS series is striving to raise at least $1.6 million, but it takes the commitment and dedication of thousands of Texans to make that a reality. Any amount you can contribute does make a difference.
True Random Number Generator Min:1 Max:57 Result: 42
Lisa Moore Gee said...
NOVEMBER 9, 2010 11:18 PM
• Winner of Tangled movie pass
3 Giggly Monsters said...
I would have to say if I had that long of hair I would probably snatch my kids up with it and hold them in the air when they were not behaving.
NOVEMBER 5, 2010 6:10 PM
• Winner of a case of Tigers Milk Bars
True Random Number Generator Min:1 Max:10 Result: 6
I'd like to try Peanut Butter & Honey! contestd(at)hotmaildotcom
NOVEMBER 6, 2010 3:30 PM
Congratulations to all the winners. Thank you to everyone who participated. The winners have been emailed but must claim their prizes.
Thursday, November 11, 2010
Creamy Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
This holiday season, make your mashed potatoes extra tasty with evaporated milk and shredded cheddar cheese! Add green onions and crumbled bacon for an even heartier side dish.
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
Makes 6 servings
6 medium (about 2 pounds total) potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
3/4 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
1/2 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
PLACE potatoes in large saucepan. Cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook over medium-high heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender; drain.
RETURN potatoes to saucepan; add evaporated milk and butter. Beat with hand-held mixer until smooth. Stir in cheese. Season with salt and ground black pepper.
NOTE: Chopped green onions, chopped parsley or cooked, crumbled bacon may be added to mashed potatoes.
LIBBY'S® Pumpkin Roll
For dessert, dazzle family and friends with Libby's® Pumpkin Roll. With a tantalizing aroma and beautiful presentation, your guests will be thankful they saved room for this delectable dessert.
Preparation Time: 45 mins
Cooking Time: 13 mins
Refrigeration Time: 1 hour
Makes 10 servings
INGREDIENTS CAKE 1/4 cup powdered sugar (to sprinkle on towel)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
FILLING 1 pkg. (8 ounces) cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Powdered sugar (optional for decoration)
DIRECTIONS FOR CAKE:
PREHEAT oven to 375° F. Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan; line with wax paper. Grease and flour paper. Sprinkle a thin, cotton kitchen towel with powdered sugar.
COMBINE flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in small bowl. Beat eggs and granulated sugar in large mixer bowl until thick. Beat in pumpkin. Stir in flour mixture. Spread evenly into prepared pan. Sprinkle with nuts.
BAKE for 13 to 15 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched. (If using a dark-colored pan, begin checking for doneness at 11 minutes.) Immediately loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel. Carefully peel off paper. Roll up cake and towel together, starting with narrow end. Cool on wire rack.
BEAT cream cheese, 1 cup powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl until smooth. Carefully unroll cake. Spread cream cheese mixture over cake. Reroll cake. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.
Be sure to put enough powdered sugar on the towel when rolling up the cake so it will not stick.
***Disclosure-This is pass along information from Nestle. No compensation was received.
...Featuring is a star-studded collection of Norah Jones' collaborations spanning her entire career. The result serves as a kind of parallel history to her four albums, which have sold over 40 million copies worldwide.
“A lot of the people on this record are people I've worshiped since I was a kid, and some of them are younger and more my contemporaries,” says Norah. “Even though the musicians are so varied, the vibe of the songs makes sense when we put them all together.”
...Featuring Track Listing:
1. Love Me – The Little Willies
2. Virginia Moon – The Foo Fighters featuring Norah Jones
3. Turn Them – Sean Bones featuring Norah Jones
4. Baby It's Cold Outside – Willie Nelson featuring Norah Jones
5. Bull Rider – Norah Jones and Sasha Dobson
6. Ruler Of My Heart – Dirty Dozen Brass Band featuring Norah Jones
7. The Best Part – El Madmo
8. Take Off Your Cool – OutKast featuring Norah Jones
9. Life Is Better – Q-Tip featuring Norah Jones
10. Soon The New Day – Talib Kweli featuring Norah Jones
11. Little Lou, Prophet Jack, Ugly John – Belle & Sebastian featuring Norah Jones
12. Here We Go Again – Ray Charles featuring Norah Jones
13. Loretta – Norah Jones featuring Gillian Welch and David Rawlings
14. Dear John – Ryan Adams featuring Norah Jones
15. Creepin' In – Norah Jones featuring Dolly Parton
16. Court & Spark – Herbie Hancock featuring Norah Jones
17. More Than This – Charlie Hunter featuring Norah Jones
18. Blue Bayou – Norah Jones featuring M. Ward
Norah Jones' new album, …Featuring, is a star-studded collection of the multi-platinum selling, multi-Grammy Award winning singer’s musical collaborations from the past decade.
The 18 songs on the album include cool cameos, collaborations and duets with such legends as Ray Charles, Willie Nelson, and Dolly Parton, and with 21st Century icons from OutKast to the Foo Fighters.
The tracks on …Featuring span Norah’s entire career and reveal her astonishing musical versatility, from jazz to country, hip-hop to rock.
…Featuring will be released November 16.
You take a person like Nora Jones, give her any kind of genre and she rocks it. This cd has so much variety, it even catches you off guard. To be able to do a duet with one person, isn't enough, and then to take different people and be able to jam with them. Norah Jones new cd is great. This is a talented singer. As you listen to the songs, you see the talent in the voice. Today was a gloomy weather day, as I listened to ....Featuring the rain drops fell. It seems as if they fell to the beat of the songs. It just made me get captured in the music. That is what music is all about.
***Disclosure-I received this cd to review. I am a member of One2One Network.
Wednesday, November 10, 2010
How long can I keep this ground beef in the fridge? How long will it last in the freezer? Is it okay to marinate chicken before I freeze it? How I do buy the tastiest fish? Want the answers to these questions and more, get the answers by watching this new video about buying, storing and freezing seafood, chicken, and meat at http://www.KraftDeliciousDays.com/.
Delicious Days is your one-stop site for seasonal cooking videos, recipes, activities, and fun! The latest series of videos on Kitchen Basics will also teach you how to boil an egg so you get that creamy yellow yolk without the gray-green discoloration, how to minimize those tears when slicing onions, and more!
While you’re at http://www.KraftDeliciousDays.com/ don’t forget to enter the Holiday Sweepstakes for a chance to win $2,500!
***Disclosure-No compensation was received. This is pass along information only.
Here is the link to the video-http://bit.ly/SFair
Additionally, you can connect with and/or find details about State Fair Corn Dogs here:
***Disclosure-No compensation was received. I am passing this information.
Tuesday, November 9, 2010
One2One Network is hosting a HUGE contest to bring some lucky lady to bliss! They are going to be giving away conference passes to three lucky One2One bloggers for BlissDom'11 in Nashville, TN January 27-28. There are three levels of prizing and all include a full conference pass ($399 value).
What is Blissdom?
BlissDom is the premiere conference for women who find and express their bliss by publishing online. Speakers and panels feature the best blogging, public relations and social media pros gathering to mentor new and old friends alike.
I want to go!!! I have never been to a conference. And this would be a great opportunity to for to learn from some wonderful ladies.
If you are a member and would like to enter, here are the rules:
BLISSDOM'11 PACKAGE GIVEAWAY DETAILS
Contest runs Tuesday, November 9 through midnight (EST) Monday, November 29, 2010. Now here’s the scoop and be sure to read carefully because there is a lot involved.
GRAND prize: Full conference pass (includes Wisdom Workshops), 3 nights at the Opryland Hotel, AND airfare/travel to the conference (up to $500)!!! (~$1500 value!)
FIRST prize: Full conference pass (includes Wisdom Workshops), 2 nights at the Opryland Hotel!! (~$800 value!)
SECOND prize: Full conference pass (includes Wisdom Workshops) (~$500 value!)
To be ELIGIBLE to enter:
1. You MUST be a member of One2One Network. Not a member? Join here!
2. You MUST 'Like' us on Facebook
3. You MUST Follow us on Twitter
(Eligibility requirements will be verified before prizes are awarded.)
To ENTER the contest:
Go to O2OBlog.com and leave a comment on this post telling us what you hope to learn at BlissDom'11
For ADDITIONAL entries*:
1. Tweet the Contest: I want to go #blissdom with @One2OneNetwork! http://bit.ly/O2Obliss Leave a separate comment with the URL to your tweet.
2. Post on Facebook: I want to go to BlissDom '11 with One2One Network http://bit.ly/O2Obliss. Please tag One2One Network in your post so we can see it. Leave a separate comment letting us know you've posted to Facebook.
3. Blog about the Contest: Let your readers know about this incredible giveaway! Write a post on your blog and leave a separate comment with the URL to the post for another entry.
*Each additional entry requires a separate comment. Twitter and Facebook comment entries are limited to one per person.
Winners will be contacted via e-mail and have 48 hours to respond. If a response is not made, another winner will be chosen. Winners will be announced on our blog no later than Friday, December 3, 2010.
Friday, November 5, 2010
Walt Disney Pictures presenta TANGLED, una de las historias más divertidas y espeluznantes jamás contadas. Cuando el mas buscado -y encantador – bandido del reino, Flynn Rider, se esconde en una misteriosa torre, es tomado de rehén por Rapunzel, una bella y vivaz adolescente con una caballera dorada de 21 metros de largo, que esta encerrada en la torre. Entonces, la singular captora, buscando el pasaporte que la saque del encierro donde ha permanecido durante años, sella un pacto con el guapo ladrón. Así es como el dúo se lanza a una travesía llena de acción, con un caballo súper-policía, un camaleón sobre protector y una ruda pandilla de matones. También esta en Disney Digital 3Dtm, TANGLED ofrecerá una historia de aventuras con sentimiento, humor y cabello….¡mucho cabello!
Walt Disney Pictures presents its 50th animated film: TANGLED, one of the most hilarious, hair-raising tales ever told. When the kingdom’s most wanted—and most charming—bandit Flynn Rider (voice of ZACHARY LEVI) hides out in a mysterious tower, he’s taken hostage by Rapunzel (voice of MANDY MOORE), a beautiful and feisty tower-bound teen with 70 feet of magical, golden hair. Flynn’s curious captor, who’s looking for her ticket out of the tower where she’s been locked away for years, strikes a deal with the handsome thief and the unlikely duo sets off on an action-packed escapade, complete with a super-cop horse, an over-protective chameleon and a gruff gang of pub thugs. In theaters this holiday season in Disney Digital 3D™, TANGLED is a story of adventure, heart, humor and hair—lots of hair.
The film uses the voice talents of Mandy Moore, Zachary Levi, Donna Murphy and Ron Perlman.
Official site: http://adisney.go.com/disneypictures/tangled/#/home/
How to enter:
1)Share your story “what would you do with magical 70-foot long hair” or “a time you gained confidence by doing/trying something new”. (1 entry)
This giveaway ends on 11/12/2010 at 8 am. Please leave an email in your comment. Good Luck.
1 winner will have their name added to RSVP list for the HOUSTON-3D Screening, Thursday, November 18 at 7:00PM, AMC Studio 30. (Please note that this list will still be first come first served, so the winner should arrive early to ensure that they get in. If they reach capacity, they will not be able to let more people into the theater, even if the winner is on the list.) I’m sorry for these last minute changes, but I just got word about the screenings.
WILSON PHILLIPS IS BACK AND SPREADING XMAS CHEER
WITH NEW CD “CHRISTMAS IN HARMONY”
First Ever Christmas Album From Multi-Platinum Selling Pop Trio
13 New And Classic Holiday Songs Produced By Glen Ballard
One of the best selling female groups of all time, Wilson Phillips is back together with their first ever Christmas album - available this October 12, 2010 on Sony MASTERWORKS / DRW Entertainment. The award-winning trio consisting of Carnie Wilson, Wendy Wilson and Chynna Phillips have recorded 13 holiday songs with their original music producer Glen Ballard, kicking-off the pop group’s overall return. Best known for co-writing Michael Jackson’s hit single Man in the Mirror and producing Alanis Morissette’s Jagged Little Pill, Glen Ballard was also the main producer behind Wilson Phillips’ self-titled 1990 debut album, which sold over 10 million copies worldwide and included three #1 singles on the Billboard Hot 100 (“Hold On”, “Release Me”, and “You’re in Love”).
At a different stage in all of their lives, the trio of Wilson Phillips is excited to finally be back together and musically share the joy, love and happiness of the holiday season not only with their families, but with their fans too. One of the most popular 90’s pop groups, Wilson Phillips have created a classic Holiday album filled with 13 Christmas songs including “Silver Bells”, “Santa Claus is Coming to Town”, “Winter Wonderland”, “The Christmas Song” and many more. There are also a few newly written Christmas songs - “Joy” which the three ladies composed and “Christmastime” which Chynna and Glen Ballard wrote together. Wilson Phillips will perform their new single “I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day” live on Good Morning America and The View.
I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day
Little Drummer Boy
Warm Lovin’ Christmastime
When A Child Is Born
Santa Clause Is Coming to Town
The Christmas Song
If you love their voices, you will love this cd. I love how they harmonize all the songs. It is a great singalong cd. It really has me ready to hang song ornaments up, drink some eggnog, and sit by the fireplace.
***Disclosure-I received a copy of this cd to review. This cd has been Independentmami's ear tested and approved. No compensation was received.
I am passing along some information on a sweepstakes from Caress....
We know how important it is to have fun with your girls, so we have created a FB application that will help you plan for your “Ultimate Girls Night Out” and enter for the chance to make it a reality! Through a series of questions, you will be guided through planning your ideal “Ultimate Girls Night Out” and enter for a chance to win a customized night out for you and your friends in your hometown! Check it out here:
Thursday, November 4, 2010
Tiger’s Milk bars are an excellent alternative to candy bars, but they taste just as great and are an excellent source of protein and nutrition. The bars also come ready to "trick or treat" in their orange and black packaging! Tiger’s Milk comes is in four flavors: Protein Rich, Peanut Butter, Peanut Butter & Honey, and Peanut Butter Crunch.
Nutritional benefits include:
- 16 vitamins and minerals
- Up to 10 grams of protein (king-size bar)
- Zero grams trans fat
- Good source of calcium and antioxidant Vitamins A and C
- Natural flavors
Want to win a case of Tiger’s Milk bars! Here is how to enter:
1) Tell me what flavor you want to try. (1 entry)
2) Tweet. (1 entry/per tweet, unlimited)
Win a case of Tiger’s Milk bars! @independentmami ends 11/12 http://tinyurl.com/26zhxll #giveaway
3) Enter other giveaway. (1 entry)
This giveaway ends on 11/12/10 @ 8 am. Please leave an email in your comment. Winner will have 24 hours to claim their prize. Good Luck.
***Disclosure-I received 4 bars to review. They have been Independentmami tested, and Independentmami approved. No compensation was received.